spoon

Recent Recipes

Ice Cream in a Jar Gift

0

Category : , , , , , , ,

Like I mentioned before, the bf and I have been doing a lot of traveling this summer, at least around the west coast.  A couple weeks ago we visited his sister and her husband in CA, and beforehand I decided that I wanted to make a thank you gift to give to them at the end of our trip.


I stumbled across this website, City Cradle Design, which specializes in handcrafted event design.  One of their recent posts was a DIY for homemade ice cream wedding favors.

What it is, is a decorated jar filled with most of the ingredients needed to make homemade ice cream in a jar.




I thought that they looked ADORABLE, and wanted to make one to give as a thank you gift.

I bought jars (almost exactly like in the picture) from Home Goods for only a few dollars and brightly-colored ribbon from Walmart for just as cheap.  You print the tags off the computer yourself and the ingredients are pretty basic, so this is a really easy gift to make.

And did I mention they're super cute?

I decided to try it out for myself following the original directions before whipping one up to give away, just to make sure it actually worked.  

I think I tried making a jar 3 different times and had horrible luck.  Each jar requires 5-8 minutes of shaking, so my bf refused to help me after about the 2nd time of being designated as the shaker.  The first time the plastic bag tore while being shaken inside the jar, letting all of the yucky rock salt and ice seep into the icecream mixture.  The second time, the mixture just didn't want to firm up into ice cream.

I decided I needed to change the directions a little bit.  I decided to still pack all of the ingredients into the jar, but to alter the directions so that the ice cream is actually made using two plastic bags.


Homemade Ice Cream in a Jar Gift


Ingredients

2 cup rock salt

2 tablespoon sugar

4 individual vanilla liquid creamer packets (or other flavors desired)

1 gallon-size plastic Ziploc bag

1 pint-size plastic Ziploc bag

Directions

Pour the rock salt into the bottom of the jar.

Carefully fold up and tape the gallon-sized Ziploc bag into a small square so that it sits neatly on top of the rock salt, forming a new layer.

Fill the pint-sized Ziploc bag with the sugar.  Carefully fold and tape the bag into a small square so that it forms an additional layer in the jar.

Add the creamer packets on top, forming the last layer.

Print and cut out labels to attach to the jar.  Click here for the labels  Personalize a blank tag with a message to whoever you're giving the gift to.  Use ribbon or whatever embellishments you want to make the jar pretty!

Write or type out these directions on another blank tag:

Directions


    1. Remove creamer and both plastic bags from jar, set aside.  Carefully remove tape and unfold each plastic bag.
    2. Pour salt from jar into the gallon-sized plastic bag.  Fill bag 1/2 with ice and mix with salt.  Set aside.
    3. Combine creamer packets with sugar in the other plastic bag.  Add 1/2 cup milk.  Seal tightly closed.
    4. Place small bag in large bag, and seal the large bag tightly closed.  Shake for 5-8 minutes.
    5. Enjoy your ice cream!

My finished product!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.